Monday, July 6, 2009

I once was blind...

and now its still a little blurry- as expected~!!
This past weekend I went to Seoul, to a recommended lasek clinic, to have my eyes corrected. The staff was really wonderful, most of them spoke English and they were very sweet. The doctor warned me of the pain and recovery time but also of the safety of the procedure. My eyes were in pretty bad shape, so the effects of the surgery were expected to be a little more painful. N8 called off of work to come with me and be my seeing eye dog for the weekend. He was a wonderful support and really patient with the whole process. I had the surgery on Friday, I was super nervous and anxious, but the women prepping me were so kind that they helped me calm down. One of the ladies actually held my hand through the whole operation! Nate was able to see me in the operating room through a glass wall, he was also able to see the surgery on a monitor that they had displayed. The whole thing was utterly painless, just a little awkward and uncomfortable at times. The doctor talked me through each step which helped pass the time. The weirdest part, though, was that at the end of the operation the doctor told me he was finished and as he walked out the door, a song boomed out of the speakers singing: "CONGRATULATIONS! AND SALUTATIONS! ...." it was so bizzar.
I was amazed that I was able to see everything so clearly just minutes after the surgery! My eyes were a little tired and sore for the rest of the day but my vision was crystal clear. The following two days, however, were another story. My eyes were in so much pain, it was hard to open them. It was no fun but I was warned, so I wasn't worried. I went back to the doctor for a follow-up and he said that most patients regrow20-30% their epithelial layer by the next day, but my eyes had recovered by 50%. I tried to keep myself entertained by watching tv shows on the computer throughout the weekend, but the glare was too bright. But watching the screen was too bright if it was in the dark, so there I was, in my room with all of the lights on, the computer on a low light setting, watchign Dexter with my sunglasses on. classy.
By Monday, I was able to wake up without any pain but my vision is still a bit blurry. Today I will go to another doctor in my city so that they can remove the protective lens from my eyes. They say that my sight should steady out within a week or two, and that my eyes will not be fully healed for about 3 months. I'm very happy with my decision and the results!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm so glad you did it!

PS - I'm loving Dexter. Thanks for the reccomendation!