Saturday, August 23, 2008

Day 2 Orientation







I feel that time has moved so slowly since I have arrived. Today was a day full of organized lectures and meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all provided for in the cafeterias at the university. Every morning we have kimchi with rice and other sides like veggies and spicy paste. The fun thing about breakfast is that we are also given chop-stick silverware. I have met some of the perfect people for me here. My roommate's name is Erin, she is also here with her boyfriend Mike and they are the loveliest couple. They are also going to be located in the province of Gangwon-do, as N8 and I will be. Another friend I have made is Jose, and he is a Puerto-Rican Rascal who makes me smile!
We had 4 lecutures today and we were pretty beat after them. Even though the talks were informational and helpful we were all itching to get out because the Gangwon-do people had interviews at the end of the day to be given more specific placement. I had mentioned in my interview how the most important aspect of my placement is to be with N8.



Geographically I would prefer to be in a city setting and possibly closer to the beach. I asked to be considered to be placed in a city called Gangneung, which is the second largest city in the province of Gangwon-do, and it is also right in the middle of the beach and mountains...best of both worlds right?! My interviewer told me that N8 will be arriving on monday and will be attending a week-long orientation. Also that we could possibly be placed in this city that I wanted because there is middle school that is looking for a couple to teach at the school and they also have a couple's apartment already set up, which is ideal!! We won't find out for sure until thursday but I have high hopes, as mom says i am "sending it out into the universe." It seems as though my close friends have also gotten their first choice of placement which is really exciting.




I have attached some more pictures to give you a sense of the campus we walk about and also of the currency. The smallest bill they have is a 10,000 won which is the same as $10. I thought i'd also put up some defacing of school property IN KOREAN!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's so exciting that you both might be able to be in your first choice location! I hope it works out!!! Miss you.