Sunday, August 31, 2008

Moving...again

Ok. It's official. Muffy and I have been and will continue to live together here in Korea. HOWEVER! The owner of our apartment building is apparently easily swayed by his other residents, and the fact that Muffy and I aren't married has resulted in his request that we NOT live together.

The fact that we have to move is a shame. The apartment that we have now has three bedrooms, a full kitchen and a substantial living area. In addition, it has a porch with a drying rack and washing machine for our clothes. We were given a pseudo-leather couch, bed, mattress, bedsheets, microwave, stove/oven, fridge, armoir, and flat-screen tv. Now that we are moving, it's unclear as to whether or not all of this swag will be included in our new place. The worst part of it all is that we are still living out of our suitcases.

The BEST part about this trip is the free time. For the first time in my life, I am only responsible for paying attention to Muffy. It's a great day.

I just bought a bike. The bike + cable lock + helmet costed only about $150. Muffy is going to buy a motorized scooter. We'll be able to use it to travel everywhere together at a low price. A used scooter will run us $400, not too shabby. And the tiny engine will require very little gas, a pricey commodity here (over $5 per gallon).

The biggest limitation for us here is the food at this point. We went to the beach the other day (a half hour walk), and I figured we would find SOMETHING familiar. But every single restaurant seemed to focus solely on raw fish. And this isn't sushi-grade goodness. It's stinky and eaten in every variety possible. Granted, we haven't yet tried it, so I can't say that it's awful, but it's just not what I was expecting. We have mostly been eating groceries and occasionally eating out, but that will change soon since we just found this amazing barbeque place. You get a buttload of food for about $15 total, including 2 liters of beer (I haven't found a GREAT beer yet though).

Pictures coming soon. I have internet access at my desk at the school, which is where I'll be writing from until (and if) we get wireless internet in our new apartment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A motorized scooter? How fun!! A half hour walk to the beach?? Oh I"m so jealous. Too bad about the apartment - you should have just said you were married.