Monday, September 1, 2008

Anyong..YES ANYONG

I am officially in business! I know that my last Blog entry was for my second day of orientation, but a lot has happened and they have kept me busy busy busy! In my ten day orientation, my day usually consisted of an 8am breakfast and lectures starting by 9am. Two lectures would last until lunch time where we would all file out like sheep and eat at the university cafeteria. If we ate fast enough we would have enough time to venture out to Emart to buy some essentials or even take a nap in our dorms. Afterwards we would sit through two more lectures, but in between the two our group leaders would give us a healthy snack consisting of fruits and veggies. We would finish our lectures around 5:30 and then again march out to eat dinner at the same cafeteria. Although I was growing weary of the food, it was free...so i stuffed my face. After dinner they would fill our evenings with offensive movies, one of which was called 200lb beauty (it was a constant fat joke), or class meetings which were helpful because it was a free-for-all Q&A. All of our obligated sessions were done by 7:30 and we would usually close by to a local bar and just chat or stay in because we were still tired and jet lagged. For the first two days I would be bobbing my head by 2 or 3pm. A couple days after that I would need to be in bed by 7 or 8. After that I tended just to be tired all day but able to stay awake.
On Friday the 29th we had a closing ceremony. Earlier that morning we had to load up the buses with all of our luggage and once we stepped out of the closing ceremony we moo-ed our way onto the buses and headed 4 hours east towards Yang Yang, where N8's orientation was being held. We finally got to see each other which was wonderful but then had to go in separate cars with our co-teachers from our assigned school. N8 is working in a co-ed middle school and I will be in an all girls middle school. I will also be required to teach English to the teachers, and once a week i will be teaching elementary school. So far I have been introduced to the teachers and MY VERY OWN DESK. There is another native English speaker-teacher here and his name is Jason. He is married to a Korean woman and he is very nice. I have sat in on some of his classes and also the Korean English teachers' classes. I have been coming up with some really great ideas for my class. I have also been told that I will have my VERY OWN CLASSROOM. This is not common in most schools because the children usually stay in their homeroom and the teachers move from classroom to classroom. This way I will be able to put up my own posters and keep it organized the way I WANT. I start next week!
If you read N8's blog, he mentioned our apartment situation. Even though its kind of a pain in the butt, I'm still so glad we are able to live together. I think that our co-teachers like us very much and are trying to uphold their side of the deal.
The first weekend that we arrived we went to the beach, where N8 and I couldn't really find anything to eat. But the funniest thing was that a lot of people were at the beach, but everyone stayed fully clothed even in the water! good thing I didn't just arrive in my swim suit. Yesterday was the first day of school for the students, and its been raining ever since! I checked the weather and it should be clearing up by tomorrow. I will post more pictures once we get internet in our new apartment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your own desk! I'm so proud!