Sunday, September 28, 2008

Korean Kulture

Lately N8 and I have been thinking that we have great luck, but in reality this place is really just great! The people here are so friendly and kind and are always willing to give you a smile or even a leg-up when needed. The other day N8 and I went to Emart (Walmart/Target-esque) to buy some essentials for our apartment. We were carrying a heavy bag of groceries, a full length mirror and a boxed clothes hamper and we piled it nicely on N8's bicycle. Then on our way back to the apartment, we passed the outdoor market and had to pick up some fresh vegetables and fruits for the kitchen. After buying a few bags of goods we realized that we couldn't do without some things from a smaller/cheaper store called DCmart so I waited outside while it started to drizzle while N8 ran in to pick up a few items (a small garbage can, a nightstand and two lamps). By this point I am trying to think of how we can figure ourselves out to carry all of this stuff home because it started to rain. When N8 came out with his arms full, a man who works inside instructed us to put all of our stuff, including N8's bike, into his van. I think they were already headed out to make a delivery, and they took us all the way home and even helped us unload the van and brought the stuff to our door! We gave him a banana and an apple to thank him for his kindness! We were so happy to be living in a town where people really care and actually make the effort to be neighborly.


My school also has nice surprises every once in a while. From now and then all of the teachers in the school get fruit or pastries from one teacher. I asked my co-teacher why a teacher would bring in fruit for everyone, and she told me it was because this specific teacher had just bought herself a new car over the weekend. I guess its a gesture of sharing the wealth. I asked her on what other occasions someone would do this and she said, "anytime! if you get a new car, a new dress..anything!" So in lieu of our new bike, I guess I should start baking. oh yeah, and all of the teachers brush their teeth everday after lunch, so fresh and so clean CLEAN!

1 comment:

Lupita said...

I am very happy to see that you are doing well, and allte good things that hapen to you, but wait!! better things will hapen and you will be amazed.I love you sooo much, see you soon. mom.